Overview Of the Python:
Python is a high-level, interpreted, interactive and object-oriented scripting language. Python is designed to be highly readable. It uses English keywords frequently where as other languages use punctuation, and it has fewer syntactical constructions than other languages.
· Python is Interpreted: Python is processed at runtime by the interpreter. You do not need to compile your program before executing it. This is similar to PERL and PHP.
· Python is Interactive: You can actually sit at a Python prompt and interact with the interpreter directly to write your programs.
· Python is Object-Oriented: Python supports Object-Oriented style or technique of programming that encapsulates code within objects.
· Python is a Beginner's Language: Python is a great language for the beginner-level programmers and supports the development of a wide range of applications from simple text processing to WWW browsers to games.
The Features of Python are mentioned below:
· Easy-to-learn: Python has few keywords, simple structure, and a clearly defined syntax Because of this feature any new programmer can learn it very quickly
· Easy-to-read: Python code is more clearly defined and visible to the eyes.
· Easy-to-maintain: Python's source code is fairly easy-to-maintain.
· A broad standard library: Python's bulk of the library is very portable and cross-platform compatible on UNIX, Windows, and Macintosh.
· Interactive Mode:Python has support for an interactive mode which allows interactive testing and debugging of snippets of code.
· Portable: Python can run on a wide variety of hardware platforms and has the same interface on all platforms.
· Extendable: You can add low-level modules to the Python interpreter. These modules enable programmers to add to or customize their tools to be more efficient.
· Databases: Python provides interfaces to all major commercial databases.
· GUI Programming: Python supports GUI applications that can be created and ported to many system calls, libraries and windows systems, such as Windows MFC, Macintosh, and the X Window system of Unix.
· Scalable: Python provides a better structure and support for large programs than shell scripting.
Apart from the above-mentioned features, Python has a big list of good features, few are listed below:
· IT supports functional and structured programming methods as well as OOP.
· It can be used as a scripting language or can be compiled to byte-code for building large applications.
· It provides very high-level dynamic data types and supports dynamic type checking.
· IT supports automatic garbage collection.
· It can be easily integrated with C, C++, COM, ActiveX, CORBA, and Java.